Re: Testing dark themes and marking deprecated widgets

On Tue, 2008-09-30 at 12:31 +0200, Benjamin Berg wrote:
> Hello,
>
> There have been ideas to improve the desktop by modifying the themes to
> show problems in application. Specifically I am proposing to use a dark
> colour scheme for Clearlooks during the next unstable release cycle.

yes, please. dark themes are usually broken by applications doing the
wrong thing; any effort to expose these bugs would be very welcomed both
from dark theme users like myself and I guess from the accessibility
people as well.

> Another idea is to highlight deprecated widgets in applications, by
> changing their colour to be eg. some shade of red.

this might prove to be a bit problematic, but it might be a good idea -
like the "enable --g-fatal-criticals" during the development cycle - if
we want to port the desktop away from the deprecated widgets.

> By using a dark colour scheme problems with applications that are using
> the wrong colours for text can be exposed. Turning Clearlooks to a dark
> colour scheme would mean that a lot more applications can be tested and
> both the application and the themes can be fixed.

and maybe more people will start using dark themes as well. ;-)

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
Emmanuele Bassi,