Re: GTK adjustement changes create incompatible behaviour between versions?

(Sorry don't want to troll, just to justify me talking to Ubuntu to delay the change)

Yes it is right but it should have been considered an API break and the announcement should
have been far ahead of the change; this is a change that's even more problematic than an
ouvert API change because apps keep compiling and running but not working right.

Sadly, i really expect many apps still being broken long after the change has been finally applied.

Cheers,
M.

Am 22. September 2008 11:32 schrieb Davyd Madeley <davyd fugro-fsi com au>:
I think GTK+ is now doing the right thing.

>From my understanding, this only affects UIs created with Glade (which
has been setting a page_size of 10 -- and it seems still isn't fixed).

Matt here developed a workaround for this in libglade. That sets the
page_size to 0 and reports a warning that your app is broken.

FWIW, I have mentioned this change in the developer section of the 2.24
release notes.

--davyd

On Mon, 2008-09-22 at 09:12 +0100, Ghee Teo wrote:
> Hi Vincent,
>
> While you have just announced 2.24.0 tarballs to be available for 22nd Sep.
> Does this mean we are going to ship 2.24.0 without an possible
> resolution to this regression?
> Since applications would not have a change to workaround this should
> gtk+ is not going to
> back up this feature. If gtk+ going to back out this feature, it can
> only be done after 23rd Sept!
>
> Have the release team considered moving the 2.24.0 release date by a
> couple of days to
> accommodate this?
>
> -Ghee
>
> Vincent Untz wrote:
> > Le vendredi 19 septembre 2008, à 09:17 -0400, Matthias Clasen a écrit :
> >
> >> I don't see any way around discussing this with the GTK+ team before
> >> taking any decisions.
> >>

> > I was hoping this would be discussed on gtk-devel-list and that a
> > decision would have been taken there :/
> >

> >> If you think this is a blocker for 2.24, then having it reverted on
> >> September 23 should still be good for a Gnome release on September 24.
> >>

> > Hrm, well, that's definitely late for smoketesting...
> >
> > Vincent

Davyd Madeley        Software Engineer
Fugro Seismic Imaging, Perth Australia