Re: New module proposal: gnome-user-share

2008/10/24 Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>:
> On Fri, 2008-10-24 at 21:11 +0200, BJörn Lindqvist wrote:
>> Isn't that what nfs does? Or for that matter, ftp? I don't understand
>> why a web server is needed for sharing files.
>
> WebDAV is supported natively with Bonjour/Zeroconf in MacOS X and
> Windows, and is very well supported in GVFS and Nautilus.

What web servers do they run?

> Adding more protocols would be easy, but unneeded in my opinion.

I feel kind of silly for installing Apache (along with the default "It
works!" html page) for sharing files.. but I get your point.

I have experimented some with gnome-user-share, and it works very
well. But there seem to be some rough edges.

Only the ~/Public directory is shared. Unless you already know about
it, it is quite impossible to guess what name the directory should
have. Why can't it work like nautilus-share? Right click any directory
-> Sharing options. It is very discoverable.

The capplet allows you to configure password less sharing. Allowing
that seems like a bad choice to me and a user induced security hole.
The description could also be clearer on who will gain access to the
shared files. It reads "Share filer over the network." I assume it
means the local area network and not the internet, but I'm not sure.

Then there are some minor bugs. The share name is not translated and
always reads "public files." Trying to open the share from localhost
returns "HTTP-error: Cannot connect to destination."

Also, I would like to mount the shares like you can with samba and nfs
shares. But I assume that is out of scope for g-u-s.

--
mvh Björn