Re: New module proposal: gnome-user-share

On Thu, 2008-10-23 at 17:15 +0200, Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 5:08 PM, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-10-23 at 17:02 +0200, Frederic Peters wrote:
> >> A point Patryk touched is that generic distributions will provide
> >> Apache packages configured to run at startup, so it is not just a
> >> matter of binary size.
>
> That's exactly the problem.
>
> > As a data point, Fedora's httpd is disabled by default for exactly this
> > sort of reason (having it installed doesn't mean we want it running by
> > default).
>
> I doubt our server guys will get overly happy over the idea of
> disabling a typical server daemon just so you can integrate it with
> GNOME. I don't really think I want the server team to hate the GNOME
> team any more.

Why is it enabled by default anyway? You would certainly need to
configure things for it to work properly anyway.

> Also there seem to be lighter alternatives:
> http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=658773

How Perl can be considered light-weight, I'm not sure. It's 46 megs for
Perl itself, and a whole slew of CPAN packages.

OLPC people are trying to remove unneeded dependencies in a number of
packages, and I don't think Perl will be installed, or needed on that
system.