Re: New module proposal: gnome-user-share

Hi,

FWIW, this discussion happened about four years ago, see

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2004-November/msg00726.html
(note: the thread continues into December 2004)

It might be useful for people to reread the thread there.

On Thu, 2008-10-23 at 17:15 +0200, Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
> > As a data point, Fedora's httpd is disabled by default for exactly this
> > sort of reason (having it installed doesn't mean we want it running by
> > default).
>
> I doubt our server guys will get overly happy over the idea of
> disabling a typical server daemon just so you can integrate it with
> GNOME. I don't really think I want the server team to hate the GNOME
> team any more.

So one conclusion from that thread, if I remember correctly, is that the
fact that gnome-user-share is using Apache shouldn't disrupt any
system-wide configuration of Apache. The way it works is that
gnome-user-share feeds a separate configuration file to the Apache HTTP
daemon running in the user context.

The fact we disable httpd in the default install in Fedora has nothing
to do with this; that's just Fedora policy, off topic for this
discussion. As a data point we've been shipping gnome-user-share in
Fedora since 2004 and haven't had issues with it or complaints from
people using Fedora as a web server.

Hope this helps.

     David