Re: New module proposal: gnome-user-share

Wouter Bolsterlee wrote:
> 2008-10-23 klockan 16:14 skrev Patryk Zawadzki:
>> On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 3:53 PM, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:
>>> I'd be interested in getting gnome-user-share into GNOME 2.26.
>> Any plans on making it work without pushing Apache HTTPd onto
>> desktops? A small embedded HTTP server should be enough.
>
> Perhaps libsoup can be used for this? See e.g.
> http://library.gnome.org/devel/libsoup-2.4/stable/libsoup-server-howto.html

Yes, gnome-user-should *could* be made to use libsoup, but this would
take some work. Basically, SoupServer provides the equivalent of
"apache", but not the equivalent of "mod_dav". So you'd have to
implement support for parsing PROPFIND requests and then doing stat()s
or readdir()s or whatever, and generating the correct XML response, etc.

If someone wanted to hack on that, it could easily be finished before 2.26.

Note that the same issue probably applies to any other "small embedded
HTTP server" too. Eg, I don't think Cherokee has any explicit DAV
support either.

-- Dan