Re: External dependencies, DeviceKit-power and GNOME Power Manager

[Late to the party, a colleague forwarded this thread to me]

Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
While it's refreshing for someone other than me to say this ;-), I have
to admit that getting HAL working on FreeBSD was a good thing.  I look
forward to the better API promised by DK.

However, unlike Solaris (or maybe Solaris is in the same boat right now)
the FreeBSD GNOME project doesn't have a lot of resources.  Right now,
there are four of us that work on porting everything from Glib to Gecko
to FreeBSD.  We've prided ourselves on staying as up-to-date as possible
with GNOME.  However, when something very OS-specific comes out, it
always takes us a while to get in sync since not all four of us know C,
python, etc.

At some point, we will catch up.  However, it would be better if we
could have a transition period where both the new and legacy
technologies work together to allow us to stay current, and give us the
extra time to port the new modules.

Most of what Joe says about FreeBSD also applies to Solaris.

I'm the one who ported HAL to Solaris, though I no longer actively work on it. Several groups share responsibilities per their specialty: one person is responsible for the power/acpi code, another for printing, etc (the desktop group has never touched a line of HAL code, they are strictly an API consumer) - in that sense, DK's functional breakup would probably do us good. But it also means that the transition will take more time as more inter-group coordination is required.

I think DK port will be primarily driven by GNOME (as was HAL): when our desktop folks fail to build their latest GNOME components and realize their schedule jeopardized, they'll start pestering the OS folks. The OS folks will grumble for a while and eventually ask mgmt to fund a project to transition from HAL to DK. At least that's my pessimistic prediction :)

One more thing to mention. We've been trying to make HAL interfaces more suitable for multi-seat environments, especially Sun Rays, and there are some private patches to achieve that (including DBus patches to route signals to users vs broadcasting to all), though they never made it into production. Looks like we'd have to revisit those. Last time I looked, ConsoleKit had some undelivered promises in this area, wink.

All that said, we are committed to the continuing open collaboration. Great to see these types of discussions, keep 'em coming - critical decisions in the desktop space require a lot of transparency.

-Artem