Re: Getting a list of open files, the smart way?

On Thu, 2008-05-15 at 06:19 -0500, Diego Escalante Urrelo wrote:
> On 5/15/08, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro <gjc inescporto pt> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-05-14 at 19:10 -0500, Diego Escalante Urrelo wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> >  >
> >  > I have made a quite simple patch for bug 528559[0], it makes the quite
> >  > useless "drive is being used" dialog into a list of applications using
> >  > such drive[1].
> >  >
> >  > I'm using a little hack with lsof, but it's not really reliable, like
> >  > when process names are too long. I checked libgtop quickly but the
> >  > lack of documentation didn't help.
> >  >
> >  > So, I'm writing to get some clues about this, any advice? My main
> >  > problem is to do something like "tell me which files in device $d are
> >  > in use, and tell me the executable for the process using such file"
> >

> > If you have time, you could go two steps further than "the executable
> >  for the process using such file":
> >
> >   1- Try to find a .desktop file associated with the exe and display the
> >  application name and icon instead;
> >

> That's what it does right now :). I forgot to mention the coolest part
> of the patch, *smacks head against desk*.
> The executable name is important to use it as the .desktop file name,
> luckily all the end user process have executables that match their
> .desktop files (banshee = banshee.desktop).

That's not necessarily true.  On Fedora, they change
the .desktop file names for lots of Gnome applications
to gnome-${app}.desktop.  I don't know why.

Don't we have a library that manages this stuff?  Is it
not possible to query this library on the Exec line?

--
Shaun