Scripting the Gnome Window manager

Hi there,

I am a recent Ubuntu convert. One of the things I miss from my Windows days
is the hability to define new keyboard shortcuts and use them to manipulate
open windows (essentially moving the focused window to specific regions of
the screen). On Windows I used the excellent AutoHotKey software to do this.
How would I go about doing that sort of thing in gnome? I am a developer and
would be happy to hack my own solution if needed.

Any pointers to the relevant gnome API's or alternatively existing software
would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
-pp