Re: GNOME 2.23 Schedule

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 10:16 PM, Olav Vitters <olav bkor dhs org> wrote:

</snip>

>  Yes. Ubuntu is acting as a translator between user and developer. Which
>  is what I am suggesting you could do as well.

Right, and as a Fedora user I find it interesting that in order to
find things to improve in GNOME I have to go to the Ubuntu brainstorm.

>  Ehr.. 'unmount resolution': I assumed you couldn't unmount because of
>  some process and you want to kill it (e.g. bash process cd'ed in that
>  dir). You could even think of something that wouldn't need the process
>  to be killed, but would instead save the state locally ('gedit was using
>  that USB, don't worry.. it'll be written next time you plug it in').

You don't need the process to be killed; you need the list of
processes using that and the option to kill them.

>  > Anyway, the fact that it's an important issue remains.
>
>  I don't see that as a fact (in the meaning: 'stop everything, work on
>  this now asap'). I agree that there are a lot of things that should be
>  fixed/improved.

Of course not, the developers decide what gets done or not.

important != work on this asap
important = carrying or possessing weight or consequence

The fact that 3,000 seem to want this feature makes me think it's
carries weight.

</snip>

>  > Perhaps the roadmap is not a good place for that, perhaps some feature
>  > list, perhaps even the bug reports could help, but you need to *see*
>  > the votes.
>
>  Votes don't work. Really, the most popular bug on Mozilla Bugzilla has
>  around 750 votes. There are millions of (Firefox) users out there. The
>  750 is not significant (nor a representation of the Fx target group).
>
>  It only results (on Mozilla Bugzilla) about 'XXX votes, why isn't it
>  fixed?!?', etc. Plus discussions on how many votes each person should
>  have.

Some voting systems might not work, the most basic ones that I have
seen work have the option to vote negatively.

Still, only-positive systems at least gives you an idea.

>  > Take for example the maemo bugzilla, you can easily see the most wanted things:
>  > http://tinyurl.com/2eajzg
>  >
>  > There are potential new developers out there but I doubt they would
>  > want to work on a feature nobody else cares about.
>
>  So that is why I gave that Jokosher example.. shine by doing.

Jono Bacon started it, which I bet was major undertake and which
required a lot of knowledge most of which probably he already had.
Also he probably knew enough people that would like such a thing.

Most potential developers don't have that clear idea about how to contribute.

>  Which application? Pidgin? I don't see that as GNOME, but as a Gtk using
>  application. For GNOME, see http://www.gnome.org/start/unstable for the
>  list of GNOME applications. Then there is also the GNOME infrastructure
>  using stuff (on ftp.gnome.org). If an app isn't even on GNOME infra..
>  then d-d-l is likely not the mailing list you want.
>
>  I'll refrain from commenting about Pidgin specifically.

I don't know what the objective of that comment was but for just FYI:
libpurple + telepathy-haze = msn on Empathy, and later perhaps
telepathy-msn-pecan.

>  > I will develop somewhere else.
>
>  ?!? and now suddenly this is about developing? I don't get the
>  intention. Whatever you want to improve, go ahead and do it. If during
>  that you need help / have questions: shout!

I'm a GNOME user and FOSS developer that would like to know which are
the features users want. Knowing that is a step closer into making a
consequential contribution.

Now I know d-d-l is not the right place for that, neither is the GNOME
community, I'll better start on Ubuntu brainstorm, like apparently a
lot of people are doing.

Best regards.

--
Felipe Contreras