Re: Using vala in GNOME

2008/6/30 Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>:
> On Sun, 2008-06-29 at 22:02 +0000, Stef wrote:
>> I've been implementing some parts of seahorse (and maybe soon
>> gnome-keyring) in Vala.
> <snip>
>> Barring any objections, the next release of seahorse will contain some
>> vala code.
>
> I object. Given that I see people filing bugs against Totem whenever the
> Vala API changes (which is, since Totem got Vala plugin support, about 3
> times) we have to make changes.
>
> I'd rather we only added Vala as a core dependency when its API is
> actually stable.

Yeah, given that the stable 1.0 release is aimed for 2.24 but has a
disclaimer that if the quality is not ok it'll be punted to 2.26, I
would consider it quite reasonable to wait for 1.0 release until
opening the doors...

Vala has been eagerly adopted already, so it shouldn't hamper the
development by limiting user base either.

--
Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi