Re: Future of GNOME: Semantics

Iain,

Thanks for your reply.

søn, 15 06 2008 kl. 17:56 +0100, skrev Iain *:
> Why does any of this (semantics) need a new "GNOME 3"?
> Can conduit not invoke Soprano in a GNOME 2 desktop?

Certainly - I did not propose a new GNOME 3 for this purpose.

> I don't understand the perceived need to start from scratch and make
> GNOME 3 a "semantic desktop"
> or an "online desktop".

I did not propose to start from scratch (which I think is out of the
question anyway). The "semantic desktop" merely refers to a strategy for
integrating GNOME with a number of other systems. Whether this strategy
is played out during 2.x or 3.x is less important.

> Can you not implement semantics in applications that would benefit from it first
> Then if its useful it will get adopted by other things.

Yes - that's how I would do it. It would require cooperation from
application developers though, which is the reason I bring it up here.

--
Anders Feder <lists anders feder dk>