Re: Changing bookmarks file location

2008/6/1 Philip Withnall <philip withnall gmail com>:
> On Sun, 2008-06-01 at 20:20 +0100, Don Scorgie wrote:
>> This has been brought up for a number of projects in GNOME [1].  I
>> wonder if we could / should reach some consensus on the best way to do
>> this across all modules?  I've been holding off doing this in yelp
>> because I can't think of a good way to go about it.
>
> I would suggest adding the changes for all the modules to some script
> which would get run either when you upgrade GNOME, or just once on
> session start. However, this does have the problem of moving
> module-specific changes out of the module and into an aggregate area,
> which may or may not work.

This will lead to all kind of problems if you don't upgrade all the
packages or are just building some stuff from SVN

Best solution is my opinion the suggestion of Patryk

1) Check new location for conf file
2) If not found copy from old location to new location (do not move
the file because their might be an old version of the app on the
machine)
3) Put in the NEWS file that new location is used.

This has a couple of advantages.
1) No performance overhead
2) Old apps don't break

In the end the old files will just dissappear because users reinstall
their OS or just remove the file if they have read the NEWS file

People who don't know the reason why migration to ~/.config should
read http://live.gnome.org/GnomeGoals/XDGConfigFolders

Can this goal be promoted to an official GNOME goal?

Jaap