Re: Proposed module: project hamster

On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 17:34 -0700, Sandy Armstrong wrote:
> Vincent Untz wrote:
> > Homepage: http://projecthamster.wordpress.com/
> > svn/git/bzr/...: http://code.google.com/p/projecthamster/source/checkout
> > Proposal on d-d-l: http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2008-April/msg00138.html
> > License: GPLv3 (or is it GPLv3 or later?)
> >
> > Short description:
> > ==================
> > Project Hamster is a nifty time tracking applet for the Gnome desktop.
> > It helps to keep track on how much time has been spent during the day on
> > set up activities.
> >
> > Requires new external dependencies:
> > ===================================
> > python-pysqlite2 [although we can just say it's python]
> >
> > Summary so far:
> > ===============
> >  + not hosted in the GNOME infrastructure, but willing to migrate
> >  + many releases since the proposal
> >  + some discussion about using e-d-s instead of sqlite. It seems
> >    the maintainers prefer to stay with sqlite
> >  + some people like it
>
> I finally decided to try this out and I'm really digging it.  I'm an
> easily-distracted person and Hamster is helping me to track where my
> time is going.  Sure, it's probably most useful to people who do actual
> work from their GNOME desktop...but is that much different than Evolution?
>
> I think there is a lot of potential to integrate Hamster further into
> GNOME, perhaps by tracking your usage of certain applications, or by
> integrating into the clock applet or e-d-s as has been suggested.  Being
> part of GNOME gives it the opportunity to do this integration in a
> well-supported manner.

Hmmm, I browsed the hamster applet source code, and they appear to try
to use the evolution-python bindings to pre-populate the list of tasks
from the evolution TODO list.

But when I tried hamster applet, there was no such information to be
seen. I would have expected to see incomplete tasks as possible
activities.

Did I miss something?

John