Re: Proposed module: project hamster

Vincent Untz wrote:
Homepage: http://projecthamster.wordpress.com/
svn/git/bzr/...: http://code.google.com/p/projecthamster/source/checkout
Proposal on d-d-l: http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2008-April/msg00138.html
License: GPLv3 (or is it GPLv3 or later?)

Short description:
==================
Project Hamster is a nifty time tracking applet for the Gnome desktop.
It helps to keep track on how much time has been spent during the day on
set up activities.

Requires new external dependencies:
===================================
python-pysqlite2 [although we can just say it's python]

Summary so far:
===============
 + not hosted in the GNOME infrastructure, but willing to migrate
 + many releases since the proposal
 + some discussion about using e-d-s instead of sqlite. It seems
   the maintainers prefer to stay with sqlite
 + some people like it

I finally decided to try this out and I'm really digging it. I'm an easily-distracted person and Hamster is helping me to track where my time is going. Sure, it's probably most useful to people who do actual work from their GNOME desktop...but is that much different than Evolution?

I think there is a lot of potential to integrate Hamster further into GNOME, perhaps by tracking your usage of certain applications, or by integrating into the clock applet or e-d-s as has been suggested. Being part of GNOME gives it the opportunity to do this integration in a well-supported manner.

Ultimately, it's for the distros (and users) to decide what ends up on a desktop. I think GNOME and Project Hamster have a lot to gain by joining forces at a project level, though.

Cheers,
Sandy