Re: Proposal: enable accessibility by default for GNOME

On 7/30/08, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 12:00 -0400, Willie Walker wrote:
>  > Hi All:
>  >
>  > I recently had a nice discussion with the release team about the
>  > viability of enabling accessibility (i.e., the AT-SPI infrastructure)
>  > by
>  > default for GNOME.  As a result of that discussion, I'm approaching
>  > the
>  > broader GNOME community with a proposal to do this.  :-)
>

> I'd agree if you can show that there's little to no performance hit from
>  enabling it. I'd go even further and say that we should not make it
>  possible to disable it within the UI if you can show that it won't have
>  adverse effects on most users (that don't need a11y...).

I have froze my whole session by getting the at-spi stuff to crash.
More concrete examples include eog not loading images anymore after
crashing at.
And I gotta say my crashes were random, happened in 2.20, 2.22.

Last time I asked, I was told that the a11y support was really evil
regarding crashes because of limitations of orbit/bonobo/something.
I'm against as long as it's not crash free, guaranteed.