Re: Proposed module: conduit

Hi,

Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 15:19 +0200, Dave Neary wrote:
>> I don't have Conduit installed, the screenies are from the GNOME Pilot
>> assistant.
>>
>> My phone is a W910i.
>
> It works with Palm Pilots. I hope you were trying to make a point (a
> long and strenuous one), otherwise it's pretty sad to get to that level
> in what's supposed to be a technical discussion.

I guess the point (if there was one) is that synchronisation isn't at a
stage where anyone could call it "working" right now.

It seems to me that GNOME Pilot doesn't do what people expect from smart
phone syncing (calendar, address book, tasks, notes) with smart phones
that aren't Palms, and while Conduit isn't there yet, that's certainly
part of what the project wants to achieve.

Funny though that you think it's sad to talk about user experience
relating to a new module discussion. I'm not a super knowledgeable
hacker, but I welcome the creation of infrastructure that helps us
towards just making this stuff work.

The question shouldn't be "is this perfect?" but "is this good?" or
"does this offer the user compelling new features?" (not sure what the
answer to those 2 questions is concerning Conduit).

Other useful questions are "what does it replace?" and "does it live
well alongside what we have now?"

I guess at the end of the day I'm not sure if/why conduit is replacing
gnome-pilot.

Cheers,
Dave.

--