Re: Proposed module: conduit

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 1:20 PM, Dave Neary <bolsh gnome org> wrote:

Hi,

Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 11:24 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
> <snip>
>> Also, shouldn't this be integrated into particular applications?
>> Shouldn't Evolution have a sync menu item, replacing it's current awful
>> gnome-pilot synchronization feature.
>
> It might be awful but it's working.

Given that I've never managed to get sync working with my new phone, I
thought I'd give this a try again & give a return on experience...

When I plug my phone over USB, FSpot starts & offers to import photos
from the phone.

Skip that... start Evo and try & do a sync.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bolsh/2713756602/in/photostream/

GNOME Pilot starts up a wizard, detecting that this is the first time
I'm setting up a sync source.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bolsh/2712943917/in/photostream/

I changed Cradle to Phone, and selected USB for sync. I guessed the
device would be usb:, but really I was surprised I needed to.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bolsh/2713756782/in/photostream/

I need to configure an owner name & PDA ID? I have no idea what these
are for... Oh, well, assume sensible defaults...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bolsh/2713756836/in/photostream/

I have no HotSync button, my phone is plugged in, but undetected, and
there is no way to complete the registration of the sync source.

Am I doing something wrong, running an unsupported phone (is there a
list), or does this stuff just not work as well as I'd have hoped?

I can't tell :-) What kind of device do you have? Conduit can sync Evolution, but it doesn't integrate into Evolution yet. (So your screenshots are nothing to do with us :-) I can assure you that when we assimilate gnome-pilot you won't have to set all those options. We haven't yet, though, so if you do have a palm based device you will probably have to wait for 2.26.

As for a list of devices, the best i can manage is to say anything on this list that runs WM5 or above (support for below WM5 isn't hard, though).

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/smartdevices.asp

or the N800/N810 or iPods.

We are working with/on phonemgr to support any of the devices on this list:

http://wiki.gnokii.org/index.php/Config

I can point you to the branches of Conduit and phonemgr to try this out, but we are crashing somewhere in gnokii/phonemgr right now. I don't have a device to test this, so i'm dependant on Rob to not be busy and wanting to get his new phone to work (trust me when i say its mainly the busy thats getting in the way).

And finally, John is working on SyncML. Which will potentially mean more devices than we can shake a stick at.

I'm all for thinking positive, but the uniform feedback I've had when
talking to people is that syncing smartphones on Linux needs a lot of work.

Cheers,
Dave.

It's not easy, but I think its doable in a release cycle given a suitable array of test devices. The code to support Windows, Palm, Nokia, Sony, Motorola and any outlying SyncML devices is all there. Someone just needs to sit down and integrate it. Which is what we are doing. (Donating devices that arent yet supported is a big help, and thanks to people doing just that I can finally start on sorting out gnome-pilot..)

(Sorry for being an outlier in your dataset :-)

John