Re: Using vala in GNOME

Stef wrote:
> Kjartan Maraas wrote:
>> Well the objections were raised and still the code is in svn. This hit
>> me today when trying to build with jhbuild and we need to make a
>> decision whether vala is blessed as a dependency or not. I don't
>> personally have anything against this but I think the vala maintainers
>> need to chime in with some kind of guarantees for stability etc.
>>
>> Frederic added vala as a tarball to the modulesets so people can build
>> it to make seahorse build, but didn't add the dep yet.
>
> Hmm, I built seahorse module on a machine without vala, immediately
> after checking it in in order to test this. What are the messages you
> experienced when building without vala? That would help fix that bug.

I've found a few problems, which I've fixed. My autofoo wasn't
completely correct for all corner cases. In addition 'make clean'
deleted some generated C code, and obviously with that gone, seahorse
would not build on machines without vala. These are now fixed in SVN.

I'm eager to hear of any other problems building seahorse. The goal (at
least for the time being) is certainly to have it buildable without
vala. Apologies for the inconvenience this has caused.

Cheers,
Stef