Re: Requiring DOAP instead of MAINTAINERS file

2008-01-21 klockan 21:49 skrev Behdad Esfahbod:
> On Mon, 2008-01-21 at 21:43 +0100, Wouter Bolsterlee wrote:
> > 2008-01-21 klockan 21:08 skrev Behdad Esfahbod:
> > > To summarize, seems to me like most of the thread was in fact irrelevant
> > > as I don't see any change being proposed to individual modules.  It's
> > > about gathering meta-information about GNOME in a central place, and I
> > > don't see how that can be bad, even if the format is not perfect.  We
> > > can always write an XSL style to convert to any other one, right?
> > > That's what's great about XML, right?

> > No, since DOAP is not XML---it's RDF encoded as XML. RDF-XML is not a
> > canonical representation, and the parse tree may be completely different
> > while still bearing the same information. That's not to say RDF cannot be
> > transformed: RDF was intended to be machine-parseable by design, just like
> > (traditional) XML.

> You're sure on a No roll :).  I don't see how that conflicts with what I
> said.  The proposed format to keep this data was XML I guess.  Or at
> least it can be XML.  What I said still holds.

Well, depends on how you interpret "what you said". In short, the answer is:

- Yes, RDF-XML can be converted to other formats, e.g. AUTHORS.
- No, this cannot be done using XSLT, since RDF-XML may parse into many tree
  representations of the same information. Let me know if I should dig up an
  example.

(Sorry for being a bit harsh with my NO NO NO.)

  mvrgr, Wouter

--
:wq                                                       mail uws xs4all nl
                                                      web http://uwstopia.nl

hold your breath :: count to ten :: fall apart :: start again     -- placebo