Re: This proposal doesn't imply extra work (was: Requiring DOAP instead of MAINTAINERS file)

Am Montag, den 21.01.2008, 12:16 +0100 schrieb Olav Vitters:
> On Jan 18, 2008 9:49 AM, Olav Vitters <ovitters gmail com> wrote:
>

> > I have a partial script that I want to expand to include as much info
> > as I can possibly can add automatically (everything until the 'and others'
> > above).
>
> Just highlighting the parts that have been missed. I'd appreciate, but
> it is *not at all required* to do any work after the script changes
> the format from MAINTAINERS to doap. The field that I *require* is the
> maintainer part (again: will be converted). All the other fields are
> extra's. Nice to have, really appreciated if provided, but not
> required.

So I understand even less, why you want us to use a file format which as
several technical problems:

  - hard to read and write
  - redundant with AUTHORS file
  - redundant with Changelog, NEWS and FTP
  - no support for git or bzr

You want additional information for svn-commits-list, web-sites?

You want to provide the service of hosting DOAP files? So keep
MAINTAINERS (and AUTHORS, and whatever DOAP related information we
already have), add some PROJECT-INFO file that lists the missing pieces
of information, and generate the DOAP file.

> The script will fill in a lot of fields, as explained in my initial
> email. Any info that could be fetched from somewhere will be included
> / updated automatically. In practice I don't think you'll notice on
> the short term.

What about new modules? First of all they have to copy boilerplate code,
to get a valid DOAP file - very bad engineering. Second they have to lie
at many fields, as new modules usually do not have a Website or Bugzilla
and such yet...

> I know changing this part of the infrastructure (maintainers vs doap)
> for the second time is not ideal. However, some things are just needed
> to have a better infrastructure. E.g. Mango would not work without
> knowing the maintainers in some machine parseable way.

Mango rocks, and MAINTAINERS indeed was a good idea.

Ciao,
Mathias
--
Mathias Hasselmann <mathias hasselmann gmx de>
Openismus GmbH: http://www.openismus.com/