Re: Just change release date (Was Re: State of gvfs in Gnome 2.21)

Reinout van Schouwen wrote:
> Op dinsdag 12-02-2008 om 13:30 uur [tijdzone -0600], schreef Shaun
> McCance:
>
>> I've used it for grabbing tarballs from ftp.gnome.org.  Unfortunately,
>> it's not as useful as it could be, since the gnome-vfs ftp backend
>> doesn't follow symlinks.  So if you try to use Nautilus to grab all
>> the .tar.gz files for a release, you'll be sorely disappointed.
>
> As long as the FTP backend isn't finished, would it be an option to
> allow distributors to make nautilus use something like FUSE on-the-fly?
> (Yes I know, FUSE is Linux only, so I'm not suggesting a hard
> dependency.)

FUSE isn't linux-only any more, it seems only Windows is the major OS
without some form of support -
http://fuse.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/OperatingSystems

A generic way of registering a fuse file system to mount for a given url
type could be pretty cool IMHO. Especially if it could mount in a hidden
directory and hide that from the user.

Thanks,
Rob

--