Re: State of gvfs in Gnome 2.21

Le mardi 12 février 2008, à 16:13 +0200, Lucas Rocha a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> 2008/2/12, Luis Villa <luis tieguy org>:
> > On Feb 12, 2008 8:36 AM, Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com> wrote:
> > > Despite all the hard work, it doesn't look like the new Nautilus will be
> > > ready for GNOME 2.22 without regressions.
> > >
> > > Why aren't we talking about punting it until GNOME 2.23/24? We've never
> > > allowed this kind of thing before - punting would be entirely normal.
> >
> > We once delayed a release for a gtk release which wasn't yet stable,
> > IIRC- the porting was too far along to revert the porting work in a
> > timely manner (which I'm guessing is also the case here) and the
> > regressions were too large to do a .0 (which also seems to be the case
> > here, though I haven't followed it closely.)
> >
> > But agreed that the right thing to do is to delay the release rather
> > than release a .0 with substantial regressions (as I ranted on a bit
> > at my blog and on gnome-bugsquad.)
>
> I agree. We shouldn'd discard the possibility of either postponing the
> gvfs-based Nautilus or delaying the .0 release if needed. Obviously,
> releasing Nautilus with too many or some big regressions is not a good
> plan.
>
> Personally, I'm more in favor of postponing the gvfs-based Nautilus
> because delaying our release can bring more problems for us and for
> the projects relying on our schedule.
>
> Hence, it would be good:
> - to have a plan with the list of regressions we can't accept for 2.22
> - to hear (mainly) from Alex if this plan is feasible

At this point, it's not just about nautilus. Other modules were ported
to gio... Reverting, while doable, would be painful.

I'm not sold on the fact that there are many important regressions. The
main regressions, in my mind, are the ftp backend, the network backend
and the connect dialog. There might be some other regressions, but I've
not noticed them. (well, there are also the themes and fonts backends,
but they're clearly not blocker)

Network backend and Connect dialog shouldn't be hard. I'm volunteering
to do the Connect dialog. And maybe the network backend if nobody steps
up.

There are plans for ftp, but I don't know the status of this, so I'll
let someone else talk about it.

All in all, we're still in good shape, IMHO.

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.