Re: HIG says "Page Setup" not "Page Setup..."

> All right, I think understand your reasoning, except I don't
> see why "Open Parent" would have an ellipsis if the various
> places under "Places" do not.  It's just another place that
> gets opened.
>
> And I'm not sure I understand why "Edit Bookmarks" would not
> have an ellipsis.

Actually, yes, I got confused :) Thats what I meant, but at 220am it
all come out a bit weird.

> What about tool palettes?  When the palette opens, the action
> the menu item implies is complete.  But who opens a palette
> just to look at it?  You probably opened it because you want
> to perform some action with it.  In the case of the GIMP,
> many of the palettes are like little embedded preferences
> windows.

But if the action is "Show Palette" then its completed once the window is open.

> Also, if "Edit -> Preferences" deserves an ellipsis, then
> surely everything under "System -> Preferences" should have
> one as well.

I think personally that Edit->Preferences should be renamed something
else, seeing as its really only in the edit menu so that it sounds
like "Edit preferences" which would have an ellipsis if it was written
out fully.

System->Preferences->blah doesn't really mean anything. There isn't
really a specific action associated with it.
Its really just the name of a program.

> I'm not saying your reasoning is wrong.  It does make sense,
> when applied consistently.  But it leads to ellipses on far
> too many menu items.

It doesn't really, we seem to have done pretty well so far...

iain