Re: Sound effects

On Fri, 12.12.08 10:15, Karl Lattimer (karl qdh org uk) wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-12-12 at 10:06 +0000, Ross Burton wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-12-12 at 02:00 +0000, Iain wrote:
> > > Some thoughts on sounds.
> > [snip]
> >
> > Hear hear.
> >
> > I turned off sounds in GNOME when I first started using it because
> > hearing six clicks when I change a radio button was somewhat irritating.
> > I understand the recent work has worked towards solving this but 125
> > event sounds is 124 too many.
>
> I think the key with good sound effects on an operating system is being
> sensible about them.
>
> Firstly,  I don't need a click sound when I do;
>
>  * Clicking on a menu
>  * Slipping down to a submenu and it opening
>  * Clicking on a link in a web browser (ie I hate you for this!!!)
>  * Clicking on a launcher
>  * Clicking on checkbuttons, radio buttons, combo boxes
>  * Clicking on pretty much anything...
>
> Now, sometimes a click sound might be useful, e.g. if you don't use a
> button on your touchpad and instead only use taps (new macbooks for
> instance), the click sound can confirm you clicked... This might be
> good. Imagine an option in the touchpad preferences to say "make click
> sound when tapping".
>
> However where we seem to have the clicking thing a little over done,
> we're missing out on useful sounds;
>
>  * New email arrived, sure it can be configured but this would be nice
> on default
>  * Urgency hints, if an application in the background suddenly wants the
> users attention it would be alright if a little boing or pong
> (onomatopoeia you've gotta love it :) to inform you that something you
> haven't had in the foreground for a while wants your attention, the
> blinking of course is good but sound would help too.
>  * System updates available
>  * Download's complete (firefox, bittorrent etc...)
>  * Copy/Move complete (nautilus)
>  * Device inserted or ejected
>
> So killing >ALL< sounds is a bit silly, but there again, the ones we
> have are silly. Using sounds to improve the user experience is possible,
> we just have to think about places where sounds are useful.

This is such a pointless discussion. You know, you are not the first
one having thoughts like this. And the result of those elders who had
them before you is that the sound theme dialog has a checkbox for
disabling input feedback and leave everything else enabled which is
called "play sound effects when buttons are clicked". What do you say
now? It's totally wow, isn't it?

Lennart