Re: Sound effects

On Fri, 2008-12-12 at 11:38 +0100, Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 11:20 AM, Iain * <iaingnome gmail com> wrote:
> > This brings up another point that I forgot. The actual difficulty of
> > initially working out what a sound means.
> > Because the sounds are arbitrary there is no expectation[1] on the
> > part of the user that a certain action should create a sound
> > Which means that whenever a user hears a sound they need to try to
> > work out what it means. Was that swish new email or
> > CD burning finished? The user closes the laptop lid and hears
> > "lid-close" sound, thinks "what was that sound?" and opens the laptop
> > to check.
> Actually all the sounds have (almost) complete context including full
> text alternative for assistive technologies so you could either opt
> for the screen reader to read the description aloud or just ask it
> "what was that" from time to time.

On OSX you can have dialog boxes announced to you which is pretty good.
For instance "Excuse me, your computer needs your attention, system
updates are available" the announcement happens after a delay, the basic
timeline works like this;

 * Update icon bounces
 * After a short delay a sound is emitted
 * After a longer delay the announcement comes

This is useful even to people who don't require assistive technologies