Re: GNOME Goal: run update-desktop-database if your .desktop file provides a MimeType key

On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 22:36 +0200, Luca Ferretti wrote:
> I haven't deep checked, but most probably some GNOME applications don't
> run `update-desktop-database` during "make install" and "make uninstall"
> phases.
>
> This is needed in order to register your application as handler for
> supported MIME types.
>
> Needed changes are:
>       * check for `update-destkop-database` on configure phase
>       * add rules in Makefile.am used to install desktop file (see
>         below)
>       * be happy
>
> Makefile.am rules to add are:
>
> +UPDATE_DESKTOP = \
> +	if [ -f $(DESTDIR)$(datadir)/applications/defaults.list ] ; then \
> +		if which update-desktop-database>/dev/null 2>&1 ; then \
> +			update-desktop-database; \
> +		fi \
> +	fi
> +
> +install-data-hook:
> +	$(UPDATE_DESKTOP)
> +
> +uninstall-hook:
> +	$(UPDATE_DESKTOP)
>
> (from vinagre, to be honest)
>
> OK to open this Goal for 2.24 release?
>
> PS note that update-desktop-db is different from update-mime-db, the
> last one is used when you install a new and custom mime in MIME database

Good goal for 2.24, as packager I'm tracing these things for the
packages I maintain in archlinux aswel. One sidenote though: there's no
use to run update-desktop-database when using "make DESTDIR=/some/dir
install".