Re: Why do GNOMEdevelopers almost exclusively use git mirrors and for example not bzr mirrors

On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 11:17 +0100, John Carr wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 11:08 AM, Olav Vitters <olav bkor dhs org> wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 08:14:50AM +0100, Ross Burton wrote:
> >  > On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 08:35 +0200, Jaap A. Haitsma wrote:
> >  > > I was just wondering why many GNOME developers are using git mirror
> >  > > and for example not a bzr mirror? If I for example read
> >  > > http://live.gnome.org/DistributedSCM I have the feeling that bzr would
> >  > > also be a very good fit. However I haven't seen any gnome.org project
> >  > > in a bzr mirror while of many projects there exists git mirrors.
> >
> >  I've been talking with Elijah to determine what is needed in a DSCM.
> >  Basically, Bzr should be enhanced/improved to have branches in one
> >  checkout directory. For some reason this is important (for real
> >  developers.. not me:). E.g. DSCM will likely mean lots of small
> >  (private) branches; loads more than with a central system.
>
> Like this?
>
> http://bazaar-vcs.org/SharedRepositoryTutorial

No.

This is multiple branches sharing a single repository (which is usually
elsewhere), a way to save on disk space.

What is generally wanted is the ability for a bzr working tree to be
trivially switched between the different branches available in the bzr
repository (which is nominally in the same .bzr directory).

$ bzr branch lp:wibble/trunk wibble
$ cd wibble
$ bzr branches
**master