Re: Why do GNOMEdevelopers almost exclusively use git mirrors and for example not bzr mirrors

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 12:14 PM, Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com> wrote:

>  On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 12:05 +0200, Ole André Vadla Ravnås wrote:
>
>  > There's two things that would need to be resolved before we'd be able
>  > to use git:
>  > 1) A native Windows frontend that doesn't require cygwin.
>
>  http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/

Please let me rephrase:
1) A native Windows frontend, not shell-scripts relying on bash,
coreutils, perl, etc.
that implicitly make you dependant on an emulation layer with its
performance and
integration issues.
This is also the same reason why autotools is useless for real development on
Windows, but that's a different discussion.

>  > 2) Pluggable API, being able to extend/influence existing commands and
>  > functionality.
>
>  the amount of low-level operations available to compose complex
>  operations is quite high; I don't think that changing the way a known
>  command behaves under the nose of the developer is not a good idea, when
>  dealing with data under revision control.

Well, changing low-level details is one thing, extending high-level commands is
another and the one I'm thinking about here (adding options for example).
I really appreciate having a revision control system that comes with an API,
I don't consider shell-scripts an API in this case as it's not flexible enough
and has too many drawbacks for non-POSIX systems.

Cheers,
Ole André