Re: WebKit and GNOME

On Apr 1, 2008, at 3:44 PM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

On Apr 1, 2008, at 12:13 PM, David Bolter wrote:

Hi Maciej,

Thanks very much for providing this information. I have a brief
comment about your accessibility section below:

This wording "Sometimes ARIA is mentioned in the context of
accessibility - this is an interesting technology for future web
apps" doesn't seem quite right to me. ARIA enabled browsers such as
Firefox provide access to ARIA enabled DHTML applications today.
Opera and IE8 are adding support today. Google is putting ARIA into
its web applications.

So far as I know, there isn't any major web app yet that is already
using ARIA. I would appreciate correction on this front if I have
missed anything.

By the way, just to be clear, I do not mean to imply that ARIA is not an important technology, or that it is "far future". Just that, in my estimation, basic accessibility integration is much more beneficial to users, in the short to medium term. (ARIA will probably be quite feasible to implement in a cross-platform way once the basic accessibility code is cross-platform.)

It is up to the GNOME project of course whether you will attach any specific feature requirements to accepting WebKit as an external dependency.

Regards,
Maciej