Re: Module proposal: Empathy for GNOME 2.22

Le jeudi 27 septembre 2007 �0:03 +0100, Martyn Russell a �it :
> Xavier Claessens wrote:
> > Le jeudi 27 septembre 2007 �0:07 +0200, Mikael Hallendal a �it :
> >> 27 sep 2007 kl. 09.07 skrev Xavier Claessens:
> >>
> >> Hi,
>
> Hi,

> >> I'm getting slightly tired of you Xavier, again.
> >>
> >> What are you basing this on? I for one haven't been asked at all
> >> regarding this topic.
> >
> > I asked Martyn's opinion long ago, I know he is not the only person
> > to decide but he wasn't for the relicencing.
>
> Rob basically summed it up perfectly.
>
> I have to say, I agree with Mikael, this is just not true. Empathy looks
> EXACTLY like Gossip for the most part, most of the widgets have taken
> years to write. To say that the code you use is trivial is insulting.

You got me completely wrong! I said libempathy-gtk contains lots of
NON-Trivial code from Gossip. What I said is libempathy (the non-gui
part) contains very few code from Gossip, what remains from Gossip in
libempathy is trivial things.

> Mikael, Richard and I (not to forget the countless others supplying
> patches) have spent a lot of time writing these widgets and the
> supporting library (libgossip). All you have done is made a few
> improvements and put them them on top of another backend.

This time it's insulting to me! I didn't made "few improvements", I
really worked hard and improved lots of things everywhere in the code. I
didn't just implemented another backend, I refactored the whole code.
Take for example that Empathy contains the half of code lines than
Gossip, and no, it's not only because I'm using external libs like
MissionControl, I removed all code duplication there is in Gossip.

Xavier.