Re: GNOME Panel++

On Mon, 2007-24-09 at 20:06 +0100, Philip Withnall wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 2007-09-24 at 20:44 +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Le lundi 24 septembre 2007, �4:00 +0100, Alex Jones a �it :
> > >    Hi list
> > >
> > >    What do we want from the next version of GNOME Panel?
> > >
> > >    Do we want to evolve it or just replace the dependency on Bonobo for now?
> > >
> > >    I think that unifying the concept of applets and more heavyweight
> > >    "widgets" might be beneficial, unless anyone can think of any good reason
> > >    why not to. Any GDesklets developers here?
> >
> > I've been thinking about this, and it's indeed important to come with a
> > dependency, but to get a better API for applets. Removing bonobo is more
> > of a side-effect to me.
> >
> > About applets & desklets: I've no strong feeling here. On one hand it
> > makes some sense since they might be similar for the implementation, but
> > on the other hand I don't expect the clock displayed in the panel to
> > look and behave like the clock on a desktop.
>
> How about if the applets/desklets were unified, but had different
> interfaces according to whether they were docked in the panel, or on the
> desktop? Thus, you'd end up with a clock which looks spiffy when on the
> desktop, and is more compact and "boring" (:-P) when docked in the
> panel.

I would actually love to see this. It solves a big problem with a
project I'm working on. Problem is that I need to display a large amount
of data and a panel applet just isn't meant for this (especially since I
can't assume the panel is horizontal). Right now, I was thinking of
hacking up a window and making it always sit in the background (so
"Always on bottom"), but this would help me out a lot.

I'm excited about it :).

Regards,
-Gezim