Re: Module proposal: Empathy for GNOME 2.22

Le dimanche 23 septembre 2007 �1:54 -0500, Jason D. Clinton a �it :
> On 9/23/07, Alex Jones <alex weej com> wrote:
>         Hi Xavier
>
>         On Sun, 2007-09-23 at 23:19 +0200, Xavier Claessens wrote:
>         > Currently GNOME has no IM program at all, Ekiga does only voice and
>         > video AFAIK.
>         Surely you haven't forgotten Gossip already. :P
>
>         FWIW, I'm extremely keen on keeping Gossip going. I personally
>         feel that Telepathy is potentially dangerous to our cause. I
>         mean, great, you can voice-video chat with your MSN friends,
>         but you still need an MSN account. One step forward, two steps
>         back.
>

> I've been diving deeper in to the code involved here and the more I
> see the more I dislike. Xavier, it seems that you implemented
> gossip-telepathy and then forked Gossip to create Empathy? Can you
> provide some history for us please? What is going on here?

We first started a telepathy backend for Gossip, then more deep work was
needed to integrate well telepathy into gossip and Gossip developers
refused that, they wanted to keep Gossip a Jabber-only client. So I
forked Gossip to make Empathy to be a telepathy-only client. That's all.

Xavier Claessens.