Re: Module proposal: Empathy for GNOME 2.22

Ross Burton wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-09-23 at 16:00 -0500, Jason D. Clinton wrote:
>
>> Needless duplication of work covered by Pidgin and Ekiga (and, so far,
>> done better). This is a reimplementation of the wheel.
>>

> Empathy is a UI around an IM platform which totally replaces the
> single-application model of pidgin, ekiga, gossip and every other IM
> client.  With Empathy I can go online when I login and using the same
> Jabber connection chat in Empathy, see presence in Evolution, and
> transfer files in nautilus.  I'll be logged into the Jabber server once,
> and the connection is shared between them.

So why not start to propose libempathy as a blessed dependency and start
the actual development of these features? I'd rather see libempathy as a
dependency of some features before asking it to be included.

This is not a rant against libempathy, but against putting more load on
the maintainers of current modules, like »libempathy is there, so
evolution guys, you have 6 months for integration«. The seahorse team
has done a really great job in getting these tasks up. So please lets go
back to business and propose implemented features and not blue-sky ideas
(I also think that this was part of the reason why the tracker
application failed some cycles ago).

Regards,
  Sven