Re: Distributed SCM in Gnome (Was: Git vs SVN (was: Can we improve things?))

On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 10:26:43AM +0000, Sam Morris wrote:
> And presumably doing a full checkout of a package's history from a
> subversion server is far more resource-intensive on the server side than
> doing the same thing with git. For example, I maintain a git-svn checkout
> of the Django web framework. Checking out all ~6100 revisions takes about
> five hours, whereas cloning the git mirror of the project from repo.or.cz
> takes just 27 seconds.

That is just git-svn being inefficient. SVN is not at all resource
intensive on the server. svn.gnome.org has loads of idle time (any load
it gets is viewvc).

With SVN >=1.4 git-svn should be able to mirror a repos, which would
make it lots faster (that version is not on the server though).

--
Regards,
Olav