Re: Git vs SVN (was: Can we improve things?)

On 9/12/07, Federico Mena Quintero <federico ximian com> wrote:
> [moving thread to d-d-l]
>
> On Mon, 2007-09-10 at 23:33 +0200, Olav Vitters wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 10, 2007 at 03:05:18PM -0500, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> > > Because it is no longer possible to create new SVN modules easily, as it
> > > was when we used CVS.  By "easily" I mean that it you want to create a
> > > module, you don't need to ask anyone to do it for you.
> >
> > So ehr, we should have svn.gnome.org/svn/testingground ?
> > (or whatever?)
>
> I don't know how Subversion repositories work.  Why can't people simply
> do
>
>   svn import mynewmodule svn://svn.gnome.org/svn/mynewmodule
>
> ?
>
> [Just tested it - doesn't work.]
>
> [During the days of cvs.gnome.org, /cvs/gnome was group-writable by
> member of the "cvsusers" group; that was enough for people to be able to
> import new modules.  Not everyone had a full shell account; they were
> restricted to cvs only.]
>
> > > http://developer.gnome.org/tools/svn.html - which leads you to
> > > http://developer.gnome.org/doc/tutorials/import.html if you want to
> > > import your code, but THAT WON'T WORK because it still talks about "cvs
> > > import".
> >
> > Feel free to fix it and point to NewSVNRepos.
>
> Sure, I'll do that.  I was just describing the sort of experience that
> developers get when trying to use our infrastructure.
>
> [Straw poll: how many people here *don't* know that developer.gnome.org
> is a module on SVN?  How many people don't know the corresponding module
> name?]
>
> > > "svn" in the search box.  Great, the first search hit is
> > > http://live.gnome.org/NewSVNRepos - which tells you "mail an admin
> > with
> > > this list of requirements".  Download page?  Project homepage?  Come
> > on,
> > > this is my first "it barely works" release - I don't have all that
> > set
> > > up yet!
> >
> > Ehr? Doesn't it tell you that *if you have a GNOME SVN account*, we
> > only
> > care about *your GNOME SVN account and your requested module name*?
>
> Sorry, where does it say that?
>
> > if it doesn't, just mention this (it is a wiki:).
>
> See, how was I supposed to know that?  I assume that whoever hands out
> new repositories wrote the NewSVNRepos page and put accurate information
> there.

By the way, we should also add some info that clarifies that if you
get svn access it's not restricted to the project you work on, and
also that bugzilla product admin rights are not the same as svn
rights.

I have been solving tickets in the accounts queue and found a good
number of them about "requesting rights" that are actually requests
for bugzilla rights or requests for access to svn module X when they
already have an account (hence they have rights for everything
already).

If someone can help rephrase that, maybe we should add it to a
subsection of http://live.gnome.org/NewAccounts , something like
"Account types, can and can't".

Greetings!