Re: Distributed SCM in Gnome (Was: Git vs SVN (was: Can we improve things?))

On 9/12/07, Ross Burton <ross burtonini com> wrote:

Agreed.

What is so bad with keeping svn as the master repository (easy to use,
fast enough, very popular) and if people want to use git or bzr for
dvcs, then they use git-svn or bzr-svn?  Many people can use those to
branch a svn repository and then merge between themselves, so there is
no hard requirement for a central repository.

I might slightly agree on this, but at the same time disagree, this definitely will work
and doesn't require any change to the current situation, what I don't agree about is that
you are using only 10% of what DRCS bring by doing this, what I mean is that if GNOME
moves to a DRCS, it will require setting up an infrastructure that makes working with
DRCS even better, for example a branch viewer, a publish/subscribe infrastructure
that helps keeping track of the interesting branches....

Maybe the best approach is to keep svn as you suggest, but at the same time lay down
a DRCS infrastructure that will improve the current GNOME project workflow while not
requiring any deep surgery :)

--
Cheers,

Ali