Re: gnome-keyring and dbus

On Mon, 2007-10-29 at 18:44 +0100, Jan de Groot wrote:
> since last upgrade of my arch, the gnome-keyring didn't work anymore.
> When launching the gnome-keyring-manager tool, it told me, that no
> keyring daemon was active, and the following message was shown on the
> console: "** (gnome-keyring-manager:8715): WARNING **: couldn't
> communicate with gnome keyring daemon via dbus: The name
> org.gnome.keyring was not provided by any .service files"

Hm, I thought I'd filed a bug with a service file for this too, in fact
we're shipping it in Poky.

I think the original rationale for the design is that DBus activation
isn't how gnome-keyring should be started: it should be started in the
session.  Being able to find the daemon via DBus is for when the
environment variables are not present for some reason.  I'm not
convinced this is a good argument and would like to see it started via
DBus activation, if only so that it is started on demand instead of
always on startup.

Ross
                                          jabber: ross burtonini com
                                     www: http://www.burtonini.com./