Will symlinking fix trash bugs? (Was Re: Please can we get a consistent desktop neutral trash behaviour.)

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 10:03:10 +0200, Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com> wrote:

On Fri, 2007-10-05 at 14:43 +1000, Lex Hider wrote:
On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 14:46:05 +0100 Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com> wrote:

> > >From what I could understand, the answer was that gnome isn't compatible
> > with the freedesktop trash spec.

Is the solution as simple as these 3 steps?
1) Identify which gnome apps can delete files.
2) Port the relevant deletion code from gnome-vfs to gio.
3) Intelligently migrate .Trash/ to .local/

That should work, yes.
Making current gnome (w/ gnome-vfs) use the new trash spec is a rather
large change, since the trash code is rather spread out over the code

What about symlinks? I've just symlinked ~/.Trash to another folder and successfully
tested nautilus' trash functionality.
We could make a helper application run once and move the contents of ~/.Trash to
~/.local/share/Trash and then create a symlink. This will

(a) maintain compability with old apps
(b) create a freedesktop.org compatible trashing system at the same time
(c) not require any changes to nautilus or gnome-vfs (nor gvfs)

Then again distros could do this with scripts in software packages of their preferred
packaging system.
They could also remove the ~/.Trash symlink when gnome-vfs is replaced by gvfs.

Regards

--
Christian Kirbach
Christian Kirbach googlemail com