Re: Pulseaudio

On Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 10:52:14AM +0100, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro wrote:
>   Is there any good reason why Pulse Audio explicitly locks the audio
> device, unlike any other normal ALSA  client?  And no, making every app
> use Pulse Audio by force, just because you can, is not a good reason.

  If you use hal-autodetect module, PA attaches directly to hardware,
which locks the device. I've disabled hal-autodetect and now PA uses
default ALSA sink, which comes to be routed through "dmix". Now
non-pulse ALSA clients work along PA. Of course outputing from PA to
dmix will bring tha wrath of PA developers upon your head.
  Solution blessed as "correct" is to configure ALSA (alsalib) output to
PA, but for me it feels little hacky. It's first thing described on
http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup#ALSAApplications

--
Tomasz Torcz            There exists no separation between gods and men:
zdzichu irc -nie spam- pl   one blends softly casual into the other.