Re: Panel Applet Development For Gnomd 2.22

On Mon, 2007-10-08 at 15:48 +0900, Edwin Marshall wrote:
> I've been doing a lot of research lately, and have decided that I want
> to start developing gnome panel applets. Unfortunately, all of the
> tutorials are outdated (with the latest one I found being dated 15
> April 2007). Furthermore, it would seem that the current version of
> panel applet development uses the bonobo architecture, which will be
> obsolete as of Gnome 2.22 (as per releas notes). My question is, does
> anyone know what the new method to develop gnome panel applets will
> be? If not, are there more recent tutorials out there?

I can't pretend to speak knowledgeably about future directions of the
panel API but I'd suggest that you not worry too much about it for a
start.  If you write your code to work as a standalone app in its own
(tiny) window then turning it into a panel applet is a simple matter of
adding your UI widgets into the window supplied by the panel API rather
than your own top-level window.

My limited experience is with developing the SSHMenu applet:

  http://sshmenu.sourceforge.net/

I chose to develop it in Ruby (although version 1.0 was in Perl) and
have ended up with a program that can run standalone or as an applet.
That makes debugging easier as well as making the code more accessible
for others to hack on.

Cheers
Grant