Panel Applet Development For Gnomd 2.22

I've been doing a lot of research lately, and have decided that I want to start developing gnome panel applets. Unfortunately, all of the tutorials are outdated (with the latest one I found being dated 15 April 2007). Furthermore, it would seem that the current version of panel applet development uses the bonobo architecture, which will be obsolete as of Gnome 2.22 (as per releas notes). My question is, does anyone know what the new method to develop gnome panel applets will be? If not, are there more recent tutorials out there?