Re: Online Desktop and GNOME 2.22

 - it seems inevitable that both gnome-http-lib and Firefox would need
   to rely on some type of common "repository" of cookies, etc. and that
   this repo would be managed by some type of daemon that handled
   locking and change-notification; said daemon would need to be able
   to run sans Firefox, and would need to handle changes to the repo,
   not be read-only.

Isnt there some work been done on using gnome-keyring to store authentication information for firefox? (sorry I cant remember the link to the patch in FF bugzilla). Wouldnt it be a natural extension to this to use either use this, or upcoming GSettings (gnome-y) or dconf (more cross desktoppy) for the cookie store. Both of these implementations already deal with locking and change notification, so why do we need a new daemon? (especialy if dconf AIUI is daemonless)

- though it never pays to block on a committee, I would say key
   people to get "sign off" from (or at least keep informed) would
   be Alex so we know the solution works for gvfs, and the Mozilla
   team, so we know they will take the patches to Firefox and
   be OK with the way it's done

Yeah, and lets not forget webkit also. I think this is where something like dconf, which sounds a bit less GNOME-y has a greater chance of being signed off by on multiple projects with stakeholders outside GNOME.

I guess it would then be a natural extension to make libsoup / gvfs et. al depend on dconf for authentication info and cookies.

But does this then fall down or come back the the same debate about hard and soft deps and where (how low) something in the stack like dconf, gnome-keyring and gvfs (authentication) lies.

John

 - the Mozilla team might be interested in this problem on Windows
   also, since right now using the Windows HTTP stuff shares state
   with IE, but I'm guessing apps that rely on this get hosed when
   people use Firefox. So maybe Mozilla would like to provide an
   HTTP lib on Windows that shares state with Firefox, or something.
   No idea though.

Havoc