Re: Online Desktop and GNOME 2.22

Havoc Pennington wrote:
I do think libsoup, gnome-vfs, neon, and curl are all bad answers long-term for apps that want to use web APIs or download an icon. The right answer will address among other things how to share cookies and proxy settings and cache with the browser.

Can you check out http://live.gnome.org/LibSoup/DesktopWideHttp and see if there's anything missing?

> And IMO should just be HTTP, not SOAP or DAV. So this is a good
> problem for someone to try to solve.

So, I'm not sure if you're being misled by libsoup's name (and heritage), but it IS just HTTP. (The SOAP support was ripped out for version 2.0, and while there was a little bit of soap stuff added back later, it's totally peripheral.) While I agree that no existing HTTP library does all of the integration you discuss (even using mozilla's HTTP layer is no good because it still can't *share* all the data with Firefox), it seems like it would make a lot more sense to take a working HTTP library and build on that, rather than writing a new one from scratch. (Unless you're thinking that the best solution is to proxy all HTTP calls to Firefox over D-Bus or something?)

-- Dan