Re: build systems

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 00:32:19 +0100, Olav Vitters <olav bkor dhs org> wrote:

At one point someone has to do the grunt work of switching every module
to the new build system (+ ensuring it is possible). I don't believe
most maintainers will do this (even if it is 10x better, maintainable,
etc). From what I read, this is how the KDE switch was mostly done (a
few interested people who did stuff).

This sounds like a perfect GnomeGoal to me, given the condition that the task is not too difficult to accomplish. I.e. it should at least partially be suitable for
new and intermediate level Gnome contributors.

I'd like to use this opportunity to ask people to really consider a new build system; autotools are painful slow, I can see this occasionally on my old 1Ghz machine when I use it. And up to this day I lack a complete overall understanding
of how all those tools work.

I don't know waf yet, but I intend to scrutinise it in the near future.

Regards
--
Christian Kirbach
Christian Kirbach googlemail com