Re: build systems

On Mon, 2007-11-12 at 09:19 +0100, Daniel Svensson wrote:
> Aren't the above examples of checks superflous? Files that everybody
> without a broken system have? Or is it used to support some special
> platform?
Check eg glib's configure.ac. glib needs checks for several functions
because it tries to use the system version, and if it doesn't exist
falls back to some custom implementation (first sample I found: g_stpcpy
in [1]).

> Why the const check? Is it to help supporting
> some other compiler? Is the code to be compiled portable to other
> compilers than gcc, lets say MSVC, and free from strange GNU macros?
> And maybe I'm talking out of my ass.
Again glib: based on configure checks, G_INLINE is set to "inline",
"__inline", "__inline__" or "", depending on what the compiler you're
running supports.

> > - I had to add all source files in one big string in the main
> > wscript_build file, unable to add them per-directory and in the end
> link
> > in la's from subdirectories. It is possible waf does support this, I
> > just did not find how to do this.
>
> Subdirectories can (and usually) have wscript files, and not
> wscript_build.
> In your build(bld) method you add a call to
> bld.add_subdirs(listofsubdirs) and for config you use
> [conf.sub_config(s) for s in subdirs] (should probably be fixed to
> look identical).
Yeah, I figured that out, but thing is I don't want to build a "program"
or "shlib" or whatever in those subdirs, I just want some .la file to be
created which I can add to the link line of my main shlib (as a matter
of speaking). I couldn't find out how to achieve that.

Nicolas

[1]
http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/glib/trunk/glib/gstrfuncs.c?revision=5819&view=markup