Re: Beagle CPU usage (was Proposed module: tracker)

On Mon, 2007-03-26 at 17:42 -0600, Hans Petter Jansson wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 00:32 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 19:02 -0600, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
>
> > > The right fix is to put this in libgnomeui/gnome-thumbnail.c, so that
> > > all thumbnailers get the same treatment.  We just did this for
> > > gsf-office-thumbnailer because it was super-urgent (patch attached).  I
> > > guess you could use a child_setup_func for g_spawn*() in gnome-thumbnail
> > > to set up the resource limits :)
>
> > [...]
> >
> > I implemented your code some time ago in Totem's unstable branch, and I
> > was wondering why movies weren't getting thumbnailed anymore. I couldn't
> > mmap files larger than 256 megs.
> >
> > This code shouldn't go in the platform.
>
> I don't mean to be impertinent, but do you really need to mmap the whole
> file?

We don't know how much of the file we'd need, and where in the file we
would need the data (AVI indexes are the end of the file, for example,
and we seek quite a bit in the file to check where the best picture
would be).

But that's not the point. The thumbnailer might be mmapping other files
that we wouldn't know about. The code Federico showed would mean it
breaks all those uses. The thumbnailer knows best :)

--
Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>