Re: Beagle CPU usage (was Proposed module: tracker)

On mar, 2007-03-27 at 14:52 -0600, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> [/me wonders if thumbnailers are measurably faster by using mmap()
> instead of read()...]

It depends on their access pattern. If they need sequential access,
read() is better because it can do prefetching (readahead).

> [Can you have thumbnailable files that are too large to mmap() even with
> a full address space?  8 GB videos on a 32-bit box?]

Of course you can't mmap a complete 8GB file on a 32bits box, but you
can do it partially (how much at a time depends on the kernel
configuration).

	Xav