Re: gnome 2.19 schedule.

People shouldn't be expected to start a service when they insert a
scanner - this stuff should just work from a users perspective.

The idea is that it would be registered as a HAL callout, so it would
start when a scanner was plugged in and exit after 20 seconds if there
was no activity and no buttons to monitor.  Still less efficient than
an addon, though.

Why do we need imcapd? The thought of yet another service just to
monitor scanner buttons scares me a little. Why not just write a HAL
addon (100 lines of C) to query the scanner? Each type of scanner (hp,
epson, mustek) can have it's own addon, and just have a single abstract
event: ButtonPressed 'scanner' which can be easily handled by the
session.

Addons are launched automatically only if the hardware is connected, all
communication is via audited secure code, and over DBUS. Win win win.

If SANE-supported devices are registered with a "scanner" or "image
capture" capability (I think there's been some talk on their mailing
lists about a utility to generate HAL device files for doing something
similar), then that sounds like a great idea to me.  It would be nice
to keep things as simple as possible, and this would definitely
simplify it a lot.  Each scanner wouldn't even need its own addon -
there can just be one which uses SANE's option handling for monitoring
buttons (this is how all button monitoring daemons do it).  Since
imcapd has got some decent code already, I could either start
reworking it as a HAL addon or pass it on to someone who has more
experience.

Donald Straney