Re: Weird and wonderful visual styling of applications

On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 01:23 +0000, Alex Jones wrote:
> As much as I applaud any effort to depart from uninspired default
> styling, if we want visual wow, we should try to make it happen in a
> consistent fashion, and then maybe we can make it look even better!

I hope you don't mean "everyone should use the same effects". I
personnaly appreciate being able to differenciate betweens apps from a
quick gaze. If you have a look at plain GTK+ apps, they are all alike.

> I have no idea how this is tackled on other OS's, but I suspect that
> Windows and Mac OS have the reusable means to do things like the fancy
> button layouts and styling in iTunes, Quicktime and Windows Media
> Player.

You'd be surprised. Even common controls under Windows are implemented
using various different libraries, each with their subtle differences.
IMHO the linux desktop is way ahead in this respect.

	Xav